When Bruce Crooks pedals across Canada, these tasty treats pack the protein and fibre he needs to fuel up. He says you can play around with the quantities of each seed, just ensure you finish with three cups.
2 cups (500 ml) flour
2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
2 tsp (10 ml) baking soda
1 cup (250 ml) raisins
1 cup (250 ml) flax seeds
1/2 cup (125 ml) sunflower seeds
1/2 cup (125 ml) pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup (125 ml) poppy seeds
1/2 cup (125 ml) sesame seeds
1.5 cups (750 ml) rolled oats
1/2 cup (125 ml) grated coconut
1.5 cups (750 ml) chocolate chips
(Crooks substitutes dried cranberries,
blueberries, or a mixture.)
2 cups (500 ml) brown sugar
1 cup (250 ml) melted butter
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
1. Heat oven to 325-350°F (160-175°C).
2. With a stand mixer, beat eggs, sugar, butter, and vanilla.
3. Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
4. Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
5. Roll spoonfuls of dough into balls and put on parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
6. Bake for 12-15 minutes. The cookies should be slightly firm on top and starting to brown, but still soft and springy in the centre.
7. Remove, allow to cool.