For over 50 years, Metro Guide Publishing has been an integral part of Atlantic Canada’s publishing industry and now requires a creative and energetic Junior Graphic Designer to join the team in Halifax.
The Junior Graphic Designer will produce fresh, creative compositions on deadline and within the design guidelines of the magazines. The successful candidate possesses a sophisticated design sense, strong grasp of typography, attention to detail, and excels at working both independently as well as in a collaborative team environment. Most importantly, the candidate possesses the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, from conception to completion, and works well under tight deadlines.
- Creating and executing fresh and exciting layouts for the magazines as per the production schedules
- Brainstorming with the editorial and production team in conceptualizing vibrant editorial photography and visual strategies for covers and stories
- Integrating and maintaining the look and feel of the publications (both print and online)
- Occasionally help the editorial department to source images
- Some Photoshop work: clipping paths, colour correction and image retouching
- Check the quality of supplied camera ready ad artwork to ensure the material is built to the correct specifications and resolution
- Advertisement production design and creation for our clients
- Provide support with maintaining website content and social media for the magazines
- Ensure all layouts are clean, pre-flighted and prepared for press
- Check iris proofs for colour, ensure quality control
- Coordinate workflow with all departments
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- A post-secondary degree or diploma in Applied Arts or Graphic Design
- First-rate knowledge of Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Quark
- Attention to detail and consistency throughout the magazine
- Illustration and WordPress web design skills are a bonus
- Strong problem-solving skills
- High-level understanding of typography
- A passion for the city and culture and a knowledge of current trends in magazine design
The position offers a competitive compensation and benefits package and an opportunity to become involved in a broad range of industry sectors and work with many community partners.
To apply for this position please email resume and salary expectations to Patty Baxter, Publisher at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.