As of yesterday, Sept. 10, Nova Scotia has two known cases of COVID-19. Officials didn’t identify any new cases in the most recent update. So far, the province has had 81,596 negative test results, 1,086 confirmed, cases and 65 deaths.
Public health officials recently narrowed the criteria for COVID-19 testing. They’re now telling people to call 811 for further assessment if in the past 48 hours they’ve had a fever or (new or worsening) cough, or if two of the following symptoms have recently emerged or worsened: sore throat, runny nose/nasal congestion, headache, or shortness of breath.
No food left behind
Annually, some 44,000+ Nova Scotians rely on food banks. Meanwhile, 40% of the food we grow never makes it onto a plate, lost to spoilage and inefficiency, or never even harvested. Those facts inspired Laurel Schut and Lindsay Clowes to create Found Forgotten Food, a program that harvests produce that would otherwise go to waste, delivering it to food banks around the province.
“We were motivated and inspired by the success of food-waste organizations… there are more than 95 across North America, mainly collecting food from restaurants and grocery stores,” says Schut. “We were totally surprised to find there wasn’t already an initiative like ours in place in Nova Scotia. There was no real plan for Found in the beginning… We figured it was an easy idea that people would get behind, and so we just started.”
See this 2018 Halifax Magazine story by Colleen Thompson for more about the program and how you can help.
Hurt feelings lead to big bill
Antigonish teenagers Pablo Scrosati and Creighton Jewkes were friends until one summer night in 2015. During a party, Jewkes challenged Scrosati’s knowledge of first aid.
With hurt feelings, Scrosati fumed through the evening, showing up at 2 a.m. at the house where Jewkes was staying. A fight ensued, ending when Jewkes pinned Scrosati in a submission hold. Jewkes then announced he didn’t want to fight any more and tried to return to the house. Scrosati followed and punched him in the face, as Jewkes stood with his arms at his side, making no attempt to defend himself.
The attack broke Jewkes’s jaw in two places, requiring five surgeries. “This was not a consensual fight,” said Judge John Bodurtha. He ordered Scrosati to pay $20,000 in damages to Jewkes, plus another $3,553 for his medical care, and $13,881 to the province for its health-care expenses. Drake Lowthers has the details in The Reporter.
Jordan dodges inquiry question
South Shore Liberal MP Bernadette Jordan recently announced plans to run in the next (as yet unannounced) federal election. But many continue to wonder why Nova Scotia’s voice in the federal cabinet stayed silent during the debate about an inquiry into the spring’s mass shootings.
“I was quite happy to see [Public Safety] Minister [Bill] Blair move towards an inquiry,” she says, instead of answering questions about her lack of support as Nova Scotians demanded an inquiry. “I think it was the right move.” Keith Corcoran reports for LighthouseNow.
Helping kids stay safe online
A new school year brings new social media challenges for kids and parents have a big role in protecting them. You may be aware of many of the risks, but have you thought about how your back-to-school photos and videos can impact your kids?
Posts that seem innocent to you might embarrass kids and expose them to ridicule or even worse, draw the attention of predators. “Keep in mind who your audience is,” advises parent Steve MacKay. “Not just your target audience, but who could potentially see it.” For more practical advice from parents and experts alike, see this 2019 story from Our Children magazine.
Need to know
Know a community group, good cause, or inspiring local story we should share? Email the editor.