COVID-19 has killed a man in his 30s from the Central Zone, reports the provincial government.
“This is the youngest Nova Scotian who has died from COVID-19 and is a stark reminder that the virus can have devastating impacts,” Dr. Robert Strang, Nova Scotia’s chief medical officer of health, says in a press release. Do your part and book your vaccine appointment if you haven’t done so already. Together we can slow the spread of the virus.”
Nova Scotia has 273 known active cases of COVID-19, with 25 new cases (15 in the Central Zone) and 60 recoveries reported in the latest government update. There are 22 people in hospital with the disease, including nine in ICU. So far, the pandemic has killed 88 Nova Scotians and 25,644 people Canada-wide.
As of June 2, the government says Nova Scotian health-care workers have dispensed 608,488 doses of COVID-19 vaccine, with 43,917 people getting the second dose that completes inoculation.
Officials also announced yesterday that Nova Scotians who received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine between March 11 and 21 and are scheduled to receive their second dose between June 24 and July 3 can now reschedule their appointments for earlier dates. They say people who are eligible to reschedule will receive an email to the address they provided when booking. People who didn’t provide an email must phone 1-833-797-7772 to reschedule.
Nova Scotians who got AstraZeneca for their first dose continue to await information from the government to help them determine what the best choice is for their second shot.
Strang and Premier Iain Rankin are scheduled to webcast an update today at 2 p.m.
Back to the Waterfront
As Nova Scotia reopens and people plan close-to-home vacations, the Halifax Waterfront is sure to be a hot destination, with visitors and locals alike encountering many changes this summer.
“We’re quite excited to welcome folks back to the waterfront this season because we think there is some great stuff to experience, new things and also old favourites,” Jennifer Angel, CEO of Develop Nova Scotia, landlords for much of the space. “We’ve been focused over the past couple of years in particular on bringing new performers, new businesses, and diverse programming so that more people can see themselves on the waterfront, feel comfortable there, and a sense of belonging. I hope that resonates with people.”
New experiences on the harbour waves, a diverse array of vendors, and pandemic-safe entertainment featuring emerging local talents, and more—learn what you can expect in this new Halifax Magazine feature by Ameeta Vohra.
5 charged after New Glasgow fracas
Five people face charges after police responded to a disturbance on Brother Street Extension in New Glasgow on May 30.
A 23-year-old man and a 29-year-old man are each charged with possession of a dangerous weapon and mischief, and a 28-year-old man is charged with possession of a dangerous weapon. Additionally, police charged all three men, plus two women (ages 26 and 27), with failing to maintain social distance, as per the Health Protection Act.
The Pictou Advocate has details.
Mourning a football pioneer
Gary Linthorne, a founding father of the South Shore Seahawks football program, died on May 15 after a brief illness. He was 74.
“We can not thank you enough for all that you have done,” says a social media post from the Seahawks Minor Football Club. “We can’t adequately express the sadness that we feel … Seahawks all over the world have a debt of gratitude that we can never repay.”
Thanks in large part to Linthorne’s efforts, the Seahawks program had its inaugural season in Bridgewater in 2012. The first season began with a team of nine-and-10-year-olds and another of 11-and-12-year-olds. In subsequent years, the program expanded to include high school age players.
“We want to create the type of atmosphere where it’s ‘Friday Night Lights,'” Linthorne said in 2012. “The response we’ve been getting from the people is, ‘Finally there’s football on the South Shore.'”
Keith Corcoran reports for LighthouseNow.
Plaudits for Cape Breton golf courses
Two Cape Breton golf courses earned high praise in Golf.com’s latest look at the country’s, and world’s, top golf destinations.
Golf.com picked Cabot Cliffs as the top public course in Canada (ranking fourth overall worldwide) and picked Cabot Links as Canada’s second-best course (ranked 12th globally). Cape Breton Highland Links ranked 28th.
Cabot Cape Breton general manager Andrew Alkenbrack says when the course opened, the team was just hoping to make Inverness a local golf destination.
“To be consistently reminded of the efforts that have gone into this and what the team’s been able to achieve has been pretty sweet,” he says. “It’s somewhat humbling too—there’s a lot of other great spots in the country, and throughout the globe … Just be featured on that list is pretty great.”
Drake Lowthers has more for The Reporter.
Need to know
Know a community group, good cause, or inspiring local story we should share? Email the editor.